Monkey Bread video of a camp cook – Is this a Fail?
This camp cook has the right idea, but… the kids will have a lot more fun if you follow our instructions – instead of the video’s instructions.
Here is all you need to make this camp or campfire treat:
- A Dutch Oven – You can line it with foil for easy clean-up, but it is not required. Or, You could even use liners, like these;
Make clean-up a snap with inexpensive Dutch oven liners.
- You can also use a cast iron skillet, with a lid, or Pie Irons for individual portions – just add a couple pats of butter in with the sugar-coated dough balls
- 2 refrigerated biscuit doughs per camper. (like Pillsbury, from the dairy section)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 stick of butter, or 8 tbsp. margarine
- 1 or more paper or plastic bags (for the cinnamon/sugar mix)
The basic steps for the Adults:
- While the kids are doing their part, prep an area of the campfire so the coals are ready for Dutch oven cooking
- If you are going to line the Dutch oven with foil, do it now and then set it on the coals to begin pre-heating
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and set aside
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar in one of the bags, and shake to mix well – you will be letting the kids coat their monkey dough, so if you have several kids – divide the cinnamon/sugar mix into a couple bags
Tip: A good pair of campfire gloves is almost a must-have for campfire and Dutch Oven cooking. Here is a guide to some good choices for campfire cooking gloves.
The basic steps for the Kids:
- Give each kid at least two biscuit doughs, and have them cut them into quarters – (you may need to demonstrate once)
- Let the kids toss their Monkey bread, (the biscuit quarters), into the bag of cinnamon/sugar mix – close bag and toss vigorously to coat the dough with the mix
- As each young camper’s dough gets coated – let them toss, or arrange, their Monkey Bread in the Dutch oven
- That’s it for the kids – for now
- When all the Monkey bread chunks are in, pour the melted butter over them and put the Dutch oven lid on.
- Cook about 35 minutes in a 350` Dutch oven
- about 10-12 good briquet-size coals under the Dutch oven, and about 12-14 briquet-size coals on the lid
Note: Preheat the Dutch oven. (just like preheating your home oven)
The Spears: While they are waiting, have each kid find a small stick, about pencil-thick and approx. 18-inches long. Trim the bark back and sharpen one end so it will “spear” the treats in the Dutch oven
DO NOT CUT living green wood for this unless you know it is appropriate for your camp site.
This is where adult supervision can help the younger campers, show them how to find “fallen wood” sticks, or find a bush branch they can use without hurting the bush.
If you go camping with kids, you should have at least one Pie Iron, (preferably one for each kid), in your camping cookware. They are versatile – you can make anything from grilled cheese sandwiches to instant fruit pies. And they are so safe and easy to use that you can let your young campers make their own fun camping recipes for kids.
★ Impress the kids and make the evening campfire and story time a colorful light show with colored campfire flames.
Was this useful?
Help us share Campingwithgus.com by giving us a “Like”
More fun and easy camping dessert treat recipes for kids:
|Campfire Desserts and Treats|
Notes and Discussions:
Camping with kids requires some camping gear and accommodations that you might not normally consider if just camping with adults.
*Note – all shopping links are my own Amazon affiliate links – which I only use to recommend good-quality camping gear – Gus
Bad Weather? Rain? Kids confined to the tent? Save your sanity – be prepared with these games and activities to keep them occupied.
Available as an all-in-one kit – Just click the image on the right to see a complete all-in-one Camping activities for Kids and camp games for kids Bad Weather Survival kit” – All you have to do is select the item quantities to match your number of kids!
Here are a few items and resources that may prove helpful:
Portable Camp Toilets
ps. You will be surprised how convenient and inexpensive portable camp toilets are.
Here are some cheap portable camp toilets on Amazon.