These simple, fun, and easy camping games and activities for kids are traditional camp favorites. From active running and tag-type games, to quieter circle games, these game ideas are great for hiking breaks and free-time.
From summer camp games to games for just 3 or 4 kids, theses ideas will help you avoid hearing the dreaded, “I’m bored!”
Circle games are camp games that keep the kids grouped together, either in a circle, around a table, (or campfire), or just in a group.
Campsite Alphabet – (semi-tame, and easy)
Have the kids sit in a circle, then, starting with the youngest, they take turns going through the alphabet – naming something in camp that starts with their letter. For instance: Youngest kid has the “A”, then next in circle has “B”, then “C,” and so on. If someone fails to see something in camp that starts with their alphabet letter – they are eliminated. Game continues, (alphabet can be repeated), until you have a winner. (last person to name their letter)
- Named item must be in sight for all to see
- Items may only be named once
- Players must remain seated
- The “Q” and “X” are “Free turns” – who ever gets them can name any camp item – as long as it has not already been named.
- Pick some object, (water bottle, pine cone, flashlight, hat, anything), for the kids to hold during their turn, and pass to next player when they are done. – It helps keep track of turns
- To keep “eliminated” kids involved – tell them that if they can name an item a “stumped” player can’t – they get to trade places and get back into the game.
Telephone Message – (semi-tame, and easy)
Materials needed: 1 small piece of paper for each kid in game. (post-it note, or index card sized) – and a pen or pencil to write and draw with.
This is a twist on the traditional telephone game where campers whisper a message, and it gets passed from ear to ear. Until it reaches the last kid – and the garbled final message is compared to the original.
- Make a stack or pad of the pieces of paper, and hand them, (and the pen or pencil), to the first player.
- First player thinks of some crazy image – like a polka-dot pig on a swing, or a Zebra-striped squirrel on a bicycle, etc., and write it on the top piece of paper. He then passes the papers, (including the one he wrote on) and the pen or pencil to the next player.
- The next player reads the description of the image passed to him, then puts that piece of paper on the bottom of the stack, and draws a picture of the description they jut read on the next blank piece of paper.
- They then pass everything to the next player who puts the picture on the bottom of the pile – and writes a description of the image on the next blank piece of paper, and passes to next player.
- This continues – description/image, description/image – until papers reach the first player – then image or description are compared to original description
Easy camping games, activities, and ideas:
Let them play! These in-camp activity suggestions; like playing cards, blowing bubbles, and others, are things kids can do with just a watchful eye from you.
Scavenger Hunts, Nature’s Bingo, Round-Robin Stories, and more … Hiking and camp activities for kids that do more than just “occupy” them.
This camp activity lets them make and decorate a teepee they can play in. Easy, cheap, and something camping kids can do themselves with just a little supervision from you.
Simple and easy lashing projects that you can do with the kids. Give them the pride of saying, “I made that” while they have fun and learn too.
This “Bad Weather” Survival kit will help maintain everyone’s sanity when bad weather forces kids, (and you), inside a tent or cabin for long periods of time.
Was this helpful?
Help us share Campingwithgus.com by giving us a “Like”
Here are some handy resources and pieces of camp gear you might be interested in:
Here are some other samples of camping gear, accessories, and tools, available on Amazon, that will make your outdoor camping trip as fun and enjoyable as you want it to be. And you will be surprised at the value when you see how inexpensive they are when you buy them online.