How to Make Walking Tacos
Whether you call them Walking Tacos, or Tacos in a Bag, kids will call them delicious and fun.
Here is all you need for this camp meal for kids:
- small bags of Dorito chips, (2.5 – 3.5oz.), one per camper*
- 1/2 cup cooked and Taco-seasoned hamburger per camper
- shredded/chopped lettuce
- shredded cheddar or Mexican-mix cheese
- diced onions
- diced tomatoes
- mild or medium salsa or taco sauce
- plastic forks or spoons
- *be prepared – have extra bags of chips for those requests for more.
Note: As mentioned, a little prep at home can make this a quick warm-and-eat camp meal. Just cook the hamburger/taco seasoning mix and dice the veggies at home, and bring to camp in a gallon-size Ziplocs. Or even easier, most grocery stores sell prepackaged diced onions and tomatoes in their Deli section, so all you have to prep is the hamburger taco mix. Then it’s just a matter of heating the meat and putting things out for the kids to use.
The basic recipe steps for the Kids:
- Add the ingredients they want
- Fold the top of the bag closed and scrunch and shake the bag to mix everything up
- That’s it! Open the bag, grab a fork or spoon, and dig in.
Although this video shows how simple and easy this kid’s recipe is, it doesn’t show the after-fixins’ shaking and mixing – which is a big part of the fun for the kids. Let them do it.
Things to watch out for:
- Don’t let the kids over-fill their bags. (have extras for hearty appetites)
- Don’t let them get carried away with the scrunching and shaking – you could have taco chunks flying through camp
- Most camping kids, (except for the very young), will want two, so you should plan for this from the start.
Another Easy Kids Camp Meal
Campfire Hot Dog Creations
Was this useful?
Help us share Campingwithgus.com by giving us a “Like”
More fun and easy camping dessert treat recipes for kids:
|Campfire Desserts and Treats|
Notes and discussions:
Camping with kids requires some camping gear and accommodations that you might not normally consider
*Note – all shopping links are my own Amazon affiliate links – which I only use to recommend good-quality camping gear – Gus
Rainy Day Survival Ideas for Camping with Kids:
Bad Weather? Rain? Kids confined to the tent? Save your sanity – be prepared with these games and activities to keep them occupied.
The links are for individual products, or the all-in-one bad weather kit. (as pictured)
Available as an all-in-one kit – Just click the image on the right to see a complete all-in-one Camping activities for Kids and camp games for kids Bad Weather Survival kit” – All you have to do is select the item quantities to match your number of kids!
Tip: With young kids in camp, a portable camp toilet will make your life a lot easier. No interruptions for a long trip to the campsite bathrooms, and no “scary” after dark trips to the latrine in the woods.
You will be surprised how convenient and inexpensive portable camp toilets are. Here are some cheap portable camp toilets on Amazon.
Here are a few items and resources that may prove helpful:
You might also like: